Saturday, September 7, 2013

World's Worst Mum

You might have come across this programme on Discovery TLC about world's worst mums. I have not actually sat through the programme but have seen its preview during commercials. It's about how some mums are so protective over their kids they end up being bad mothers. For instance, not allowing a 12-year-old kid to use a knife to cut his food, not allowing a kid to take a bus on his own etc. Bollocks I say, these mothers. They think they're protecting their kids, but they are not helping at all.

But... who am I to judge or say anything? Who is to say what constitute to a good mum and a bad one?

Yes, so you leave your job to care for your child full time. Yes, you attend to his every needs and makes sure he gets the best. You are there when he's sad, he's sick, he's hurt, he's in pain. That doesn't automatically make you the best mum.

So, you can't wait to go back to work and have your personal time, "me-time" as we call it. You leave your child at the infant/child care centre. You can't wait till your child moves out. That doesn't make you a bad mother.

My point? 

Every mother has their own way of bringing their kids up, whether or not you agree with the method.

I don't proclaim to be a good mother. I only try my best. I may be overpowering on many occasions, I may be overprotective, I may even be selfish and stubborn and ignore other's advices. But can you fault me for wanting what deem best for my child? Its what I do to perhaps make myself feel better about being me, a mum. 

Having gone through 40 weeks of pregnancy and the pains of labour, can I ask for this privilege to protect the child my way? 

I'll try to be a little more open, but meanwhile, bear with me. I'm still learning to be a mother.

1 comment: