Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Decisions, Decisions

I've been involved in interviewing 2 positions within my office over the last two weeks. The thing that struck me while conducting these interviews, besides the fact that there are really all sorts and kinds of different people around, is how many women are willing to sacrifice for their family and children.

Yesterday, I had a chat with a new colleague who is a mother of two. She took 2 years off work when her son was born. My first question to her was, did she find it difficult to get back to the workforce, and for her, no. Obviously she took a bit of pay cut but I think that was to be expected. Today, I interviewed a lady who left the corporate world for 10 years! She was very thankful to be given a job at a very renowned research firm after 2 years of job search. The sacrifices these mothers made for their children made me think hard again about my hesitation to be a SAHM. All that I've met said that they have no regrets doing that and if they were to choose again, they will choose the same path. Because the time spent watching their kids grow is so valuable. For me, the pushback factor is whether I can get used to having no personal source of income. Being a SAHM would mean that I have to rely on DH. We've gone through this time and again, with one set of income, its definitely possible but I will have to change my lifestyle a little bit.

I think I should be able to make a better decision during the 16 weeks maternity leave. Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment