Thursday, April 4, 2013

Acid Reflux During Pregnancy

I've read before that pregnant women are prone to heartburn. I've never experienced it, so I don't know how bad it can be. I've heard women complaining about it, but I count my blessings I don't have to go through what they did. Until.....

A couple of nights, I got woken up in the middle of the night very abruptly. My throat was burning and I thought I was going to throw up. I quickly drank the glass of water I had on the bedside table and felt slightly better. But, it was the beginning. Last night, it came back again. It was then I realised, this is acid reflux. Whilst I don't have the heart burn around my chest area, this acid flow back to my throat is bad enough. Thankfully, I'm really at the very last leg of the pregnancy already. To be plaque with this acid reflux and constipation is really horrible, but as my friend K mentioned, it means baby is growing big and about time to meet the world.

So what is acid reflux?
> when stomach acid doesn't stay put in your stomach and creeps up into your esophagus.
> more common in pregnancy because of the hormones which slow digestive system
> combined with the pressure of a growing baby, it increases the possibility of the stomach acid making its way up

What are the signs?
> Most commonly - burning sensation in throat or upper chest (heartburn)
> Nauseous
> Burping and regurgitation

How to prevent acid reflux?
> Eat small, frequent meals. Avoid greasy, spicy food especially close to bed time.
> Avoid milk
> Avoid peppermint tea

Source: http://pregnant.thebump.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-problems/articles/acid-reflux-during-pregnancy.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment