Tuesday, October 8, 2013

This Is The Way We Pump Our Breasts

Even before I got pregnant, I always thought breastfeeding is simple, that it should come to mothers naturally. But many friends were kind enough to share that it isn't the case. I have heard stories of how breastfeeding doesn't just come easy for some mothers and babies, but I didn't know it was THIS complex.

I dismissed the importance of a breast pump, thinking that I will latch baby directly. Well, I did latch B for 5 weeks before I decided to pump exclusively. Anyway, I had the "privilege" of trying 3 different types of breast pumps and wanted to share my thoughts on them.



1. Philips Avent Dual Electric
This happens to be one of the better pump in terms of clearing the breasts. However, it is so bloody loud. I'm glad I've sold it away now that I've bought a second-hand Ameda.

Pros:
Effective and efficient in clearing breast. Takes about 15-18min to clear but I often have another letdown at 18min but will be done by 20min.

Cons:
Too bulky and you have to stay plugged to a power point. The noise it makes is crazy loud. Not portable and no timer to show how long you have pumped.

My verdict: 3/5


2. Medela Freestyle
I got this as a hand-me-down from my cousin and it was very handy and useful as I can leave this at my mums place without having to drag the humongous Avent.

Pros: 
Portable and handy, has a timer

Cons:
Unable to clear breasts as effective and takes much longer time. What should have been a 20min pump session becomes 30min and generating only the same amount or less that I get with Avent. As such I get blocked ducts. Can be rather loud.

My verdict: 3/5

3. Ameda 
This is by far my FAVOURITE pump! Mdm Rokiah recommends this and so did a friend before I delivered. It costs much less than a Medela but in my opinion, most effective!

Pros:
Quiet,very efficient in clearing, even better than Avent. Love that it has minimal pump parts so makes washing and sterilising its parts a breeze. Takes less than 20min to express and seems to have solved my quantity imbalance. With the Ameda, my problematic left breast which is often blocked and expressed less milk has balanced up! Medela or any other narrow neck bottles fit.

Cons:
Although it can be powered by batteries, it's a little too bulky to bring out if the need arises. No timer.

My verdict: 4/5

So there you go, I recommend Ameda. It's way cheaper than Medela but does the job better. But different pumps work differently for different people, let me know what works for you!

1 comment: