Monday, October 8, 2012

Almost One-Third Through the Journey

11 weeks! Baby is 11 weeks old as of yesterday. S/he has come so far from a small little cell, I can't believe how Mother Nature works. *sniffs*

Anyhoo, DH and I are sooo looking forward to this Thursday, I hope everything turns out fine. I'm finally getting around the idea of I really am pregnant, and in another week, I'll be able to share with more people about my bun in the oven.b

On a separate but equally domesticated note, because DH and I get home earlier as compared to when we were at our previous companies,  I have more time to prepare and cook dinner for us during the weekdays. We've decided to stock up at least 3 days worth of groceries for dinner so we won't have to crack our brains on what to eat, and in the process, saving some money and eating healthier.

I've been a little adventurous in the kitchen of late. But it really stemmed from my interest and passion for cooking, because my appetite, especially dinner, doesn't seem to improve much. Last weekend, I tried home-made Ipoh horfun, made from scratch from the fried wantons and the char siew. I got the recipe for char siew from this blog, and it is fairly simple to do. My only problem was I couldn't get the 五花肉 from supermarket and ended up using pork belly, which turned out a bit tough. Otherwise, it is delish.



Ingredients for wantons:
- 150g minced pork
- 6 prawns, minced
- 1 stalk spring onion, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Wanton skin
- Oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients and wrap the wanton skin with 1 tsp of the paste. Too much of it the skin will get burned while you ensure the fillings are cooked. So 1 tsp should be just about right. Deep fry until light golden brown.



Recipe for char siew: click here


Recipe for the horfun: click here


1 comment: