Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Journey

I don't think I ever shared what I did differently the month we conceived, or at least what I felt we did right.

I distinctly recall starting to try in August 2011 - I went on a girls' only trip to Hong Kong with G and stayed with J, we had the best time ever. Our last day in Hong Kong, I smoked my last cigarette and decided that was the last stick. When I return to SG, I'm going to start concentrating on making babies, no more cigarettes. And I went cold turkey.

I did not smoke for the next 8-9 months, but that was also the time I got discouraged after months of trying. So I decided, what the heck, I'm not going to be so anal about it, I'll just drink and be merry and smoke socially. 

Until I finally decided to see the TCM practitioner and spent a bomb on my first visit, I decided not to waste the money and do exactly what I should be doing, i.e. stop smoking, stop drinking (tough), start taking bbt religiously and more importantly, keep having sex.

In the past, I've tried using Preseed, a lubricant that supposedly is safe for couples TTC. I didn't like it, it made such a mess and really takes the fun out of the already chore-like sex.

What I felt really made the difference, was not the chinese medicine, but the fact that I've been charting my temps religiously every day. That gave me a rough indication when I have or have not ovulated and timed our intimacy accordingly. Coupled with the TCM that supposedly helped to strengthen the uterus lining, it was bingo.

After a year of trying, which felt like forever, I think the best investment a couple should make when TTC is to get a basal body thermometer. And a right mindset. That will take you far ahead in your journey to parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment