Tuesday, September 23, 2014

And So The Clinging Begins

Sometime back, a friend asked how I manage to cook dinner everyday with a toddler in toll. My reply was, "I don't know".

It's true. I guess B is somewhat independent and plays on his own most of the time. He is kept entertained by his collection of buses and books. A lot of responsibility is also on me to make sure I plan the time properly. For example, taking a frozen meat or fish down from the chiller to the refrigerator so they can slowly thaw overnight, and taking them out to thaw first thing in the morning. Washing and chopping the veg in advance and whenever possible. The most is being done during nap times of course.

BUT. Yes, the dreaded but. This has changed recently. B has taken an acute interest in the kitchen. Everytime he sees me near the stove or sink, he runs in and cling onto my leg, wanting to be carried and see what I'm doing. I tried distracting him with toys, with boxes, with containers, with unopened tea bag sachets, with the door, with iPad, with tv, with everything. But if he sensed I'm in the kitchen, he runs in. Literally run in! I tried to put him in his high chair next to me, but no, he only wants to be carried. Argh. This makes cooking and preparing really tough and by the end of the day, I'm beyond exhausted.

At first I thought it was just separation anxiety. But no, only when cooking is involved. DH says he will be the future restauranteur. Well, if he's as rich as Daniel Boulud, Gordon Ramsey and other chefs, why not eh? If you ask me, I think chefs are sexy. Oops.

Hoping this will change soon, otherwise, I really need to find more things to distract him.

2 comments: