Friday, August 14, 2015

Jaundice Check

I don't think I posted here but when Clara was 5 days old, she was admitted for phototherapy and it was a pretty stressful period not just becoz of that,  but having to manage B as I was staying in with C. Anyway I am so glad that episode is over and definitely not looking back.

When she was admitted, her jaundice level was 13, considered borderline high for a 5 day old. Upon discharge it was 8.5 and 3 days later it wad 10.5 but pd said it's not too worrying as she was older then and the threshold it different. Moreover in that 2 days after discharge,  she gained weight well and output was great too. So no follow up needed unless I was unsure.

Fast forward to the jubilee weekend. My mum and sis started commented she's looking very yellowish and started dishing out advice to sun her. I know in the past we sun our jaundice babies but I have had 2 different pds telling me sunning is of not much help. Anyway they made a fuss and I got worried so took her to Dr Zainal for a follow up check and blood test to rule out any liver function failure.

I don't deny I was concerned too so when Dr called me with the results, I was more than relieved. It is just bm jaundice which we has suspected and should go away by itself latest by 3 months. Phew. And during the assessment, Dr commented C is overall doing well in terms of her weight gain.. in fact she's over 97th percentile! 2 kg weight gain in 1 month that's pretty awesome.

So, it really is possible to love your second born as much as the first born. And all those guilt I had towards B, I'm still feeling it but in a way I'm also guilty towards C. Her brother still had a good 2 years and abit more of 1-to-1 personal time but for her, attention is all split up.

At the end of the day,  no matter how hard a day I had,  I just count my blessings for this 2 healthy kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment